Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Peace in the Storm

It seems as if I only find time to write when the rest of my world is sleeping. Can I get a witness from all the mothers out there? By the time you have devotions, fold the laundry, cook the meals, wash the dishes, take numerous phone calls into the parsonage and keep up with the constant clutter that trails the wake of a two year old, you cannot expect to have much time for blogging or anything else! Somedays I do more "slogging" (in the South that means that you are barely getting thru!) than blogging! HA!
For the last few weeks since I moved into this new house which is the first parsonage and pastorate for our family, I have experienced a lot of tumultuous emotions that are very close to the storm which is raging outside tonight. I need to talk to my oldest sister, Rachel. She had so much wisdom and practical sense to offer, but she died almost five years ago. Then torrents of tears roll through my soul and sorrow thunders into my heart without warning when I think about my mother who was a pastor's wife "par excellence" and a woman of grace. I know that she could guide me through all of the mine fields that I keep making for myself, albeit I do this unwittingly. She would know exactly what to tell me. My hand reaches for the phone, but a strike of lightening upon my memory reminds me that pancreatic cancer took Mother out of here over a year ago.
Now that we are all thoroughly depressed, I want to tell you that this storm is very hard to endure, but I have found the ultimate shelter and peace in the midst of this violent onslaught. My source of peace in this wild night of the soul is none other than the "Master of the Winds and the Waves" Jesus Christ. Remember the time that Jesus was asleep in the little fishing vessel on the Sea of Galilee and a terrible storm came up. The disciples were terrified and cried out to Jesus, "Don't you care that we are about to die?" The Bible tells us that Jesus stood up and rebuked the storm with these words, "Peace be still!" We are told that IMMEDIATELY the winds and the waves became totally still and that the storm stopped. Wow! This same Jesus is the Author of Peace and has come into the midst of my storm and has given me a safe shelter and "peace that passes all human understanding. Yes, I have squalls come up at times, but He is there with me and gently ministers to my broken heart and gives me healing and peace in the storm.

1 comment:

Valorie Quesenberry said...

Hey, Jennifer,

I identify with the sentiment of only getting to do things when the rest of the house is sleeping.....that is prime-time for me :-)

I know your mom is so proud of you, and I think she knows you are in a parsonage now. Her legacy lives on in you. Keep smiling.
G.R.I.T.S -- Valorie