Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I Love People

Good evening everyone! Once again I am taking a few minutes before I crash to review a few things on my heart. I feel a little like a small boy from a neighboring church whose mother overheard her son playing church. He asked his audience of stuffed teddy bears if they had any prayer requests and this is how he said it, "Stuff on our hearts?"
Well, I suppose all of us have "stuff" that troubles us, or "stuff" we wish we could express to someone who understands. That is the neat thing about having Jesus in my heart: I always have someone who cares about my "stuff."
This brings me to the title of this particular reflection. I love people. Tonight was church night for us. We meet for informal Bible study and prayer. I am amazed at the elderly group we have in our small church. One man is on dialysis three days a week, but he always has a big smile, an encouraging testimony, and a bright outlook on life. Another lady in our church is having constant trouble lately with an irregular heartbeat. In spite of this, her million dollar smile would make the saddest clown alive laugh and feel better instantly.
Then, there are people who are complete strangers to me, but I get acquainted with them at the grocery store, Walmart, etc... Tonight, after church I met a woman my age who was a neighbor of my husband when he was growing up. One look into her face and big brown eyes told me a story of a very painful past. We started talking and soon I was able to exchange phone numbers and arrange to have her come to my house to scrapbook. She is a scrapbook manic like myself! Guess what? I am soo excited. While I get to enjoy a hobby that is very special to me, I can also use that time as a ministry tool to reach out to hurting people like this hurting lady.
My husband says I would try to get a friendship established with a signpost and I guess that is true. Case in point: I have a group of very special ladies that I periodically meet with for a three and one-half hour scrapbooking session. I have to back up a 50 car train to the door to unload all of my "stuff" into the fellowship building where this "Scrapper's Anonymous Meeting" takes place. The crazy thing is that I usually never even complete one page. Why? Because I spend my time talking to and listening to these precious ladies who come from all different backgrounds, age groups, and even faiths. It is in these times that I can share my love for people and my love for Jesus with them. I think the church that came up with this idea to open their doors for community scrapbookers is a wonderful way to witness and it also helps we ladies develop friendships that would never have happened otherwise.
Well, enough of my ravings about the wonder of humanity. But, dear reader, whoever you are, I wish I was your best friend and I wish I could get to know you better. If you know Jesus, whether we ever meet here, I will meet you in Heaven some day. Won't that be exciting. Love to all and good night.

1 comment:

Valorie Quesenberry said...

You have been "Tagged." Please see my blog for details. www.simpleandlovely.blogspot.com