Sunday, August 5, 2007

It is late at night and I find myself very happy to know that we survived another Sunday. Considering that we were sick all night with food poisoning on Saturday night, I am relieved that God helped us through this day.
I was challenged by my husband's message this morning from Nehemiah 2. He likened the city of Jerusalem (which is known as the City of Peace) to the spiritual heart of man. It is from this place that we should have the center of our peace through Jesus Christ. Also, Alan compared Nehemiah (who went to view the ruins of Jerusalem's walls in secret) to the Holy Spirit. If the walls of the heart have been broken down by the enemy of the soul, Satan, then the Spirit will often assess the condition of the heart of man before that man ever realizes the gentle work of the Spirit in his life to bring about restoration.
Nehemiah said that the King was behind him supporting his desire to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. In fact, the King provided all the resources needed to repair and restore the walls even better than they were before they were destroyed. The Holy Spirit will remind the man who has fallen away from God's love and the person who has never known salvation, that the resources for building the walls of protection against sin and failure around the redeemed heart have been provided by Jesus Christ, God's Son, through His death and resurrection.
He then closed the message by saying that there is hope for the backslider and the one who has never been saved. But, he also warned believer's to keep a guard on the gates of the heart because if there is even a small breach, then anything can get inside and destroy the soul.
For me, I was stirred and challenged to ask the Lord to help me to keep the walls of my heart well guarded and maintained by consistency in prayer and study of the Word of God. (Yes, we pastor's wives struggle to find time for devotions like everyone else:-) I want the Lord to help me to repair any weak spots that might be present in the walls of my heart. Walled cities in ancient times were built to keep out bad things (enemies) and let in only the good things (riches and friends). In the spiritual life, it is the same way.
Lord, help me to learn from this message and begin to see fruit in my life even this week!
Thanks for putting up with my ramblings, dear reader. I do come by my interest in theological discussions honestly, though. Not only am I a pastor's wife, but I was also raised a "Preacher's Kid." These types of discussions were exciting dinner conversation when I was growing up. I just hope that you my lay readers were able to endure. Good Night!