Monday, February 11, 2008

"In the deep midwinter..."

It is 1:30 a.m. and I am not asleep yet. For those of you who are in the trenches with me as a pastor's wife, you know that often Mondays are "down days" in more ways than one! For us, we usually take Monday off.
Our "off-day" was really strange this time -- we went to Alan's parent's place and helped his mother defrost her freezer and Alan hauled several huge loads of wood to the basement window and dropped it in, while I raced madly back and forth to stack it in an orderly fashion close to their woodburner. Talk about good old r&r! HA! It was great fun though. I really enjoyed it.
Afterwards, we all staggered to the family room and collapsed in recliners and I, on the couch. Somehow, the fire had not been kicked soon enough (talk about "wood, wood, everywhere and no fire or heat!!!), so the house was a brisk 55 degrees when we realized we were freezing! Alan got the furnace blasting AND built a big fire in the fireplace. I was trembling under two heavy blankets listening to Alan's Mother tell Emily a story. The next thing I knew, I woke up an hour later.
Now, the snow is falling heavily outside, I am snug in my warm house, and thankful to be where there is such beautiful variety in the weather. I opened my window a few minutes ago and "listened" to the silence as my world is blanketed in feather light snowflakes. It was a perfect picture of the peace in my heart that comes from a close relationship with Jesus. And, just think, we who know Jesus are whiter than snow!

No comments: